This May Be Why Gun Violence Exists In The USA

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

This May Be Why Gun Violence Exists In The USA

Postby DearthVerbose » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 am

We fought a revolutionary war and won our freedom at the point of a gun and celebrate the occasion each year so perhaps we regard it well whether we know it or not. We also slaughtered the native Indians. Perhaps this is why we are a violent nation.
Last edited by DearthVerbose on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DearthVerbose
Thinker

Re: This May Be Why Gun Violence Exists In The USA

Postby raydpratt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:15 am

The values celebrated on the Fourth of July are more complex than the simple celebration of political victory through gun violence. Americans came to believe that England's King and Parliament were no longer dealing fairly with its citizens in America, so we Americans made the decision to risk war by declaring our independence. So, the Fourth of July does not celebrate the violent doctrine of 'might makes right,' but rather it celebrates the group decision of Americans to risk and suffer war for the sake of higher political values and justice. The fact that we won the war is almost secondary, except that we celebrate the day rather than mourning it.

The fact that our Declaration of Independence was a group decision counsels against the view that the Fourth of July promotes antisocial violence by lone individuals or tiny groups. Although some of the rhetoric surrounding the Fourth of July promotes the spilling of the blood of tyrants (something that an individual might do), the overall context of the values promoted by the Fourth of July are group values, not lone-wolf values.

So, I am inclined to say that the Fourth of July is not the ideological source of the many, senseless mass shootings by stray individuals.
raydpratt
Intellectual

Postby dhobs » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:06 pm

I believe you are right raydpratt. It also seems to me that Religion looks like a far more likely culprit, especially considering the widespread impact of apocalyptic religions on our culture, such as evangelical Christianity. However, it's true that not all lone-shooters are religious extremists. I think shootings, especially school shootings, are more likely to correlate with societal decreases in mental health and increased pressures on our youth. If you look at other countries that have also had violent revolutions and practice similar celebrations, I think you'll see their numbers of shootings will still be lower than in the States. This is really interesting though, and I think it deserves more research and discussion.
dhobs
Thinker

Postby abaddon1234 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:37 pm

I think it deserves more research and discussion.
จีคลับ
abaddon1234
Scholar

Return to Great Ideas