Simple idea to prevent house fires

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Simple idea to prevent house fires

Postby mmiller » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't know if others experience this reaction, but quite often when I think of something that would be a great idea that should benefit society, I get a lot of resistance. One idea (of many most of which I forget), imho, would be to have a time for stovetops. That is a timer that would only allow electrical burners to remain on for a certain amount of time. For instance, you could have an option that automatically shuts off all stove top electric burner, say after one hour (30 minutes or whatever) time of cooking. This is because, in our hectic lives, that is something of serious importance that can be overlooked. Who cooks any longer on a stovetop for more than an hour anyway? It there needs to be more cooking, then turn it on again.

Last year, I left home for a two week trip. There are a ton of things to do before the trip, and at one point in the morning I cooked a meal. Now the lingering thought after an hour of driving was "Did I make absolutely sure I turned off the stove?". Well, I probably did, but suppose there's that one chance in a thousand I forgot?. So, I turned around and went all the way home. It was off, thankfully I remembered to do that, but I lost two hours of wasted driving. But I knew I was not going to burn down the house!

Now, last year, we are at an appliance store looking at electric stoves. I suggested this idea of having automatic off timers, and everybody looked like I was crazy. "well, maybe in your mixed up world, but that never happens to me" was the response. The person that told me this confessed three months later, she left her kitchen and her electric stove was on for a few hours. Luckily no paper towels or other flammable material was nearby! But imagine the disaster possibilities that could be prevented with something I believe should be jsut as common, axiomatic, as airbags in cars. And what would be the extra cost in design, a few bucks? I'd pay it in a heart beat.

In all fairness, I'm sure that almost any possible idea that any of us can think of, is already on the burners for future production. Hopefully. we'll see that innovation applied sooner than later, everywhere. mm
ZZ
mmiller
Intellectual

Simple idea to prevent house fires.

Postby Don Blazys » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:45 am

To: mmiller,

That really is a good idea!

Clothes irons and heaters should also have built in timers.

Don.
Don Blazys
Intellectual

better than a timer: a sensor

Postby subgeeze » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:03 pm

The next development in induction stove tops (they work by exciting ferrous metal in your cookware) is a top that senses the pot and only radiates energy to that area. Only pots and pans to which a magnet will stick work with induction stovetops. Induction tops are already superior in that they don't waste energy by heating themselves -- all energy goes to the pot; the burner stays cool. I think the energy savings over regular electric cooktops is around 40%, and the temp control is even better than with gas. I'm looking forward to getting one when they build them into complete oven + cooktop units.
The anal sphincter is the only muscle that can distinguish a solid from a gas.
subgeeze
Thinker

walk

Postby kelly » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 pm

In contracting we do a walk through before leaving the site. :o
kelly
Intellectual

Postby Tom Hendricks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:38 am

I think you have a fine idea here. Well done.
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Re: Simple idea to prevent house fires

Postby pedro12 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:25 am

mmiller This is really a fabulous idea you just brought here, thumbs up!
pedro12
Thinker

Postby JO 753 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:21 pm

I burn stuff fairly often. Today I forgot the chicken & ruined it. Smoked up the house.
Tired uv Trump yet? I am:
http://www.7532020.com
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby AlexisnaveCA » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:01 am

Most fires are unexpected because they're caused by the most ordinary, everyday items that you normally consider safe: a stove burner, a candle, an electric space heater, the water heater, an extension cord, a cigarette.

What typically makes them dangerous are mental lapses, poor judgment, hurried actions and simple carelessness. While everyone makes mistakes, you can vastly cut down deadly fire risks by exercising good safety habits and simple prevention steps.

Along with this it is also suggested to call your electrician after every six months to check all the faulty wires... Always hire the best electrician services like-
http://www.electricalservicesco.com/
http://bkelectricservices.com/
AlexisnaveCA
Thinker

Return to Great Ideas