Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished!

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished!

Postby ProgrammingGodJordan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 am

1. As Neil deGrasse Tyson says, science is true whether or not one believes in it!
  2. Pertinently, that one may believe in science, does not suddenly remove that belief is a concept that permits that one may typically ignore evidence, as observed in the analysis below:

• Belief (by definition and research) is a model, such that one may believe in both science, and non-science.
    • However, crucially, belief typically facilitates that people especially ignore evidence.
    • A model that generally permits the large ignorance of evidence contrasts science.
    • Instead, we may employ scientific thinking, that largely prioritizes evidence, rather than a model (i.e. belief) that facilitates largely, the ignorance of evidence.
  3. Unfortunately, I had been a theist up until my 21'st birthday. Fortunately, at age 22 (I am now 27), I finally identified as an atheist. After 4 years of being an atheist, one day I thought about belief, and I recognized that not only was theistic faith invalid, but also, the very concept of belief!

• As a precaution for preventing myself from absorbing nonsense, I had come to invent something called "non beliefism".
    • Beyond atheism, "non beliefism" enables a state of mind that rejects not merely religious belief, but the very concept of belief.
Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network". (See this easy overview)
ProgrammingGodJordan
Thinker

Re: Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished

Postby robert 46 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:53 am

ProgrammingGodJordan wrote:As Neil deGrasse Tyson says, science is true whether or not one believes in it!

What Tyson means by this is obscure. Scientific method has an innate validity, but a scientific theory is no more than a strong belief. Many such theories have ultimately been discarded:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersede ... c_theories
Unfortunately, I had been a theist up until my 21'st birthday. Fortunately, at age 22 (I am now 27), I finally identified as an atheist.

Then I suggest you change your user name "ProgrammingGodJordan" which appears to be blatant hypocrisy.
As a precaution for preventing myself from absorbing nonsense, I had come to invent something called "non beliefism".

How do you know that belief in "non-beliefism" is not nonsense?

Skepticism is a reasonable modality. It suspends judgment until the preponderance of the evidence supports a particular belief. I doubt that anyone can exist without beliefs: e.g. the market on the corner will still be there when one intends to go shopping. It may have burned down overnight, making the belief false; but it is reasonable to believe is hasn't. When some beliefs supporting plan A turn out to be false, one resorts to beliefs about plan B: e.g. go to another market. The mere persistency of the world is a matter of belief. If the dinosaurs had done any thinking, they may have concluded that 180 million years of ruling Earth was a sure thing to continue. Similarly, if humans do any thinking, they may conclude that 5000 years of ruling Earth is a sure thing. It may be just as much a false belief for humanity as it was for the dinosaurs. So, people have to believe something, but whether it is true or not is problematical.
Last edited by robert 46 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
robert 46
Intellectual

Re: Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished

Postby ProgrammingGodJordan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 am

I have carefully observed your points, and I advise you to do the same of mine.

robert 46 wrote:What Tyson means by this is obscure. Scientific method has an innate validity, but a scientific theory is no more than a strong belief. Many such theories have ultimately been discarded:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersede ... c_theories

Rather than "obscure" it is quite clear:
    • As an example, that flat earthers exist, does not suddenly warrant gravitational theory as false (despite the existence of believers in a supposedly flat earth).
    • This is an indication that beliefs don't have any bearing on whether science is true or not; science obtains regardless of belief.

How do you know that belief in "non-beliefism" is not nonsense?

As "non beliefism" underlines the importance of Science, while Science is thus far mankind's best tool, "non beliefism" is not nonsense.

Skepticism is a reasonable modality. It suspends judgment until the preponderance of the evidence supports a particular belief. I doubt that anyone can exist without beliefs: e.g. the market on the corner will still be there when one intends to go shopping. It may have burned down overnight, making the belief false; but it is reasonable to believe is hasn't. When some beliefs supporting plan A turn out to be false, one resorts to beliefs about plan B: e.g. go to another market. The mere persistency of the world is a matter of belief. If the dinosaurs had done any thinking, they may have concluded that 180 million years of ruling Earth was a sure thing. Similarly, if humans do any thinking, they may conclude that 5000 years of ruling Earth is a sure thing. It may be just as much a false belief for humanity as it was for the dinosaurs. So, people have to believe something, but whether it is true or not is problematical.

1. It is odd that people tend to bring up skepticism when I describe "non beliefism", because as an atheist, one would probably imagine that I had long encountered skepticism.
  2. Anyway, skepticism does not underline belief's generally science opposing nature, contrary to "non beliefism".
  3. One may trivially get by absent belief, by doing scientific thinking instead.
    • It's actually very simple to avoid belief; belief is such that permits that people generally ignore evidence, but we can act in a manner that prioritizes evidence, and this is scientific thinking, which contrasts the very concept of belief. (Please pay attention to point 2, in the original post)
Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network". (See this easy overview)
ProgrammingGodJordan
Thinker

Return to Great Ideas