translate codes to speakable sentences

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

translate codes to speakable sentences

Postby victorcassel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:03 pm

We all have to handle those brain-unfriendly, but computer-aimed codes. For example pin codes, passwords, invoice numbers, even telephone numbers and amounts and other data. It ought to be possible to encode these in word form which the human mind can remember more easily by association to names of people and things.

The idea is quite simply to express any code as a large number, then encode that large number again as a fully readable (and speakable) sequence of words of nouns and names. For example: yF83#! could be translated to Olgas crow and trash. This is a quite simple numeric procedure - the same that you use to translate decimal number 65535 to hexadecimal FFFF.

This idea occurred to me one evening paying the bills on my laptop. It is a very repetitive, number-centered boring task that doesn't seem streamlined for the human users.

You could for example printa code like "p1s, p2s and p3s n1 and n2. P4s n3 and n4." On an invoice and let it expand to a full invoice code receiving bank account and an amount.

The same could be used for autogenerated passwords that are super easy to memorize. Also for short lived response codes.

You could also combine this with speach recognition and voice identification to get safe authorization to internet banks just using a regular phone.
victorcassel
Thinker

Re: translate codes to speakable sentences

Postby raydpratt » Tue May 10, 2016 5:40 pm

The Memory Book, by Harry Lorayne & Jerry Lucas, provides a multitude of methods for remembering all kinds of information, and I studied and practiced using all of them at various times and for various purposes and with varying success. For Example, I used some of the methods to remember and practice all of my lines as Pontius Pilate in a Christian play that used to play once a year for the entire week up to Easter Sunday at the Tucson Convention Center in Tucson, Arizona. The memory methods were very helpful, but they are easy to forget without regular use.

The only method that I still use on a regular basis is the one used for remembering long-digit numbers, and it is similar to the method that you propose, although your proposed method is more ambitious. It is very difficult to use the method that I know to remember more than just numbers, such as both numbers and letters and special symbols.

In the method I that learned and use, with some modification, the numbers 0 through 9 have the following possible consonant letter sounds:
0: S or Z
1: T or Th or D
2: N
3: M
4: R
5: L
6: Sh or Ch or J or Zh (as in "measure" or "pleasure," and the common thread is that they are all similar fricatives)
7: K or G
8: V or F
9: P or B

From there, I can look at a string of numbers and use trial and error to add vowel sounds that will turn the numbers into a word, phrase or sentence.

For example, "Chain the Chore Right" stands for 621-6441, which is the phone number for the Main Library for the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona. I haven't called that number or thought of it for many, many years, but it was readily available to me as an example. It is much easier to remember words and phrases than numbers, especially if you can relate the words and phrases to the purpose of the numbers.

I would love to have a usable way to remember mixes of both numbers and letters, but that is not easily done with the system that I now use.

Can you flesh out your ideas? Is it a work in progress? Have you developed a memorable logic?
raydpratt
Intellectual

Re: translate codes to speakable sentences

Postby victorcassel » Sat May 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Ok, Here is the payment invention again, now better structured.

I would really like to hear suggestions and comments from you readers. 8)

The use case is about paying bills a lot quicker, by using your own language and not the bill's and computer's number-heavy language.

So, this is *not* about recalling codes from memory, but the assumption is the same - that it is easier for us to work words than digits.

The invention uses a computer algorithm to translate any(!) digits heavy code through a predefined dictionary to a message of physical objects, persons or even verbs. The resulting message must be quite short and easy to read, of course - I couldn't replace a bad code with a worse. :D

So far, I have only checked that the translation concept works in Excel with an example dictionary, but to get further an implementation needs to translate to "invoice fields". I have also put in a patent for it in Sweden, but it was rejected a few years ago because it was too general or algorithmic in nature.

The PROS for the invention:
+ Speeds up the manual payment procedures a lot!
+ Eliminates human digit entry errors
+ The message is suited to humans. Words build associations, digits don't.
+ No risk for lost secrets. The invention does not include a third part that tracks or keeps a copy of your sensitive payment information. Everything that is needed for the payment is in the message itself.
+ The message can pack lots of info: Receiving bank, account, amount, payment date, identity codes, internal integrity checks
+ Maybe use an extra level of security through internal integrity checks on the message.
+ Voice recognition is getting better by the day. Your own phone could listen to you specifying an invoice and fix the bank transaction for you.
+ The message can be printed as an extra text row on an invoice.
+ The message could be OCR read quite easily, for example through an mobile phone, and translated to an invoice payment and sent to your internet bank.
+ The message could be integrated with existing payment standards, like IBAN or SEPA, there just needs to be space for an extra coded text message.
+ The message need not be in any specific language, many languages can be supported through different dictionaries. If the payer is german he can choose to get the message presented in german instead of English, because the same mathematical code can be presented in different languages, it is just a matter of mapping.
+ It could be possible to let many words map to the same number, and in that way give some creative freedom to formulate more selling and fun messages.
+ It could be possible to mix in free text messages into the automated message.

The CONS for the invention:
- It is still a manual routine, not a fully electronic payment procedure. But it is simpler than todays manual routines.
- The problem of startup size. It is difficult to start small. The translation algorithm needs to be public and standardized. Both the receiving and sending end needs to begin support it simultaneously.
- The algorithm and the dictionaries needs to be carefully versioned. (ok not really a minus)
- Other ways of paying fully electronic payment methods are rapidly emerging, and there is big competition in this area.
- The problem are how to find an investor, and how to make a profit. It has kind of an altruistic approach in that it simplifies and saves time for all, like the smart VCR programming code mentioned below. But no big profits are to be made?

Note, that this invention is not scoped to the payments area, in any way. I just happen to see it's benefits there.

/ Victor

ps. The background for this invention is that I live in Sweden where we these days pay our bills at home on a pc connected to our internet bank. When the monthly bills arrive they usually have an extra digit code to identify the bill, similar to an invoice number, but can be surprisingly/unnecessary long. This code and other info is entered on the keyboard and submitted to the internet bank. (I don't know how you do in US and the rest of the world, more manual I've heard) This payment procedure works ok I guess, but it would be even better without the meticulous digit work... So then I thought about ways to get rid of this irritating and error-prone part. And I knew for example that there was this VCR-recording standard where a about 5 digit code can be use for quicker programming of recording that translate to a Channel, a Start Time and a Stop Time. I also knew of the way a telephone number could be derived from a message like 1-800-I-GOT-JUNK.
victorcassel
Thinker

Return to Great Ideas