The Obesity Epidemic, and lack of breast feeding

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

The Obesity Epidemic, and lack of breast feeding

Postby Tom Hendricks » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:52 am

When we talk about the obesity epidemic, don’t forget that the amount of new mothers who do not breast feed (and I would suggest longer than the usual 6 months) ,is just about equal to the number of overweight. Surely this is a part of the problem. Search these two words for much much more “breast feeding + obesity”. Remember too that past generations have often not breast fed, so why weren’t they mostly overweight? I would suggest that they were poor, and could not eat enough to get fat , and/or they couldn’t easily access the inexpensive excess fats, sugars, and carbs that we can.
I’ll also add that if you don’t breast feed your child, you won’t wean him from breast milk – and that may be a key biological step in our development. It may force the child to deal with loosing nurturing, setting up it’s own digestive system to deal with new foods, setting up it’s own immune system to get wastes out etc etc.
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Re: The Obesity Epidemic, and lack of breast feeding

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:03 am

Altho I think you may be right, the statistical correlation will be clouded by several other general dietary factors. So many chemicals have been added to our food over the last century that pinning the blame for anything on lower breast feeding rates would require some other way of making the connection.
Tired uv Trump yet? I am:
http://www.7532020.com
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby Tom Hendricks » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:49 pm

JO 753 wrote:Altho I think you may be right, the statistical correlation will be clouded by several other general dietary factors. So many chemicals have been added to our food over the last century that pinning the blame for anything on lower breast feeding rates would require some other way of making the connection.

Many studies have been done already. It may be one of the best documented arguments to why we have obesity. Search obesity + breast feeding for more.
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Postby Tom Hendricks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:31 am

There may be a connection between weaning a baby too soon, constipation, and the anal retentive personality.
My suggestion is that when the infant is weaned too soon, his body reacts to the loss of breast milk and easily digested nurturing, by constipation to hold in the last digestible nurturing he got.
This turns out to be a very common problem - constipation during weaning.
But this biologically caused constipation may in turn become the anal retentive personality type. Therefore it has nothing to do with toilet training, but instead is a biological problem during weaning.

Definition from the Free Dictionary
Anal retentive personality - (psychoanalysis) a personality characterized by meticulous neatness and suspicion and reserve; said to be formed in early childhood by fixation during the anal stage of development (usually as a consequence of toilet training)
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Postby monicawoodlm » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:02 am

Tom Hendricks wrote:When we talk about the obesity epidemic, don’t forget that the amount of new mothers who do not breast feed (and I would suggest longer than the usual 6 months) ,is just about equal to the number of overweight. Surely this is a part of the problem. Search these two words for much much more “breast feeding + obesity”. Remember too that past generations have often not breast fed, so why weren’t they mostly overweight? I would suggest that they were poor, and could not eat enough to get fat , and/or they couldn’t easily access the inexpensive excess fats, sugars, and carbs that we can.
I’ll also add that if you don’t breast feed your child, you won’t wean him from breast milk – and that may be a key biological step in our development. It may force the child to deal with loosing nurturing, setting up it’s own digestive system to deal with new foods, setting up it’s own immune system to get wastes out etc etc.

Hi Tom Hendricks,
Hope you are doing well. I being a mother of one also think that breast feeding is very important. The breast milk contains colostrum which is a thick yellow coloured milk comprising of many types of proteins and vitamins for the baby.

If a mother of newly born does not breast feed her child, it can prove fatal for mother. Like delivery , post motherhood period also needs to be spent with utmost care. My pregnancy was a case of low risk. So me and my husband hired some midwives. They made my delivery comfortable and relaxing one and I could see my baby being born too. For more information about midwives and obesity plus breast feeding visit below given sites-

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/nursing-basics
http://www.lamidwifecollective.com/
http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/13/understanding-how-breastfeeding-affects-obesity/
http://www.popsugar.com/moms/How-Breastfeeding-Can-Make-You-Gain-Weight-37837572

Breastfeeding is a natural phenomenon and should not be neglected. Even in case of baby it can cause diseases like SIDS, gastrointestinal diseases and many such. So breastfeeding should not be neglected and is safe and essential for both baby and mother.
monicawoodlm
Thinker

Return to Great Ideas