Six more ideas

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Six more ideas

Postby tvelection » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:03 am

Some possibilities:

(1) A program for uploading internet videos that synchronizes audio and video. For (one camera) speakers it could grab the movement of the mouth and match amplitude. Otherwise there are too many scenarios where the "auto" approach fails, from sound effects to narrators. So a manual program would allow the user to slide, for instance, a sine wave, from out of phase to in phase with the video. Another problem is that analog conversions may contain speed-ups and slow-downs so the user needs to be able to "squeeze" a cycle occasionally, if necessary, and not simply a whole phase shift.

(2) Some experimental ideas. Can one laser be placed within another one of a different kind or color? And what phenomena occur when two lasers are pointed directly toward and through each other with regard to particles of light? Can signals still be maintained? If so could there be a kind of AC interaction? What if one is stronger? Both have receivers/detectors. There are so many possibilities just playing around with lasers and detectors. Can lasers affect microbes or even protein shapes?

(3) Refrigerator inefficiency. The biggest problem with the modern refrigerator is rather mechanical/physical. When you open the door the cold air pours right out onto the floor. If you had a thermoscope you'd probably see a blue mass (cold air) falling out quickly every time the door is opened. Since a horizontal, reach in/down, deep freezer style refrigerator is impractical for space and even a dangerous liability for kids, the upright model needs modified. What's needed is a cold air dam, sort of "storm doors" where the fridge can be opened and only the top shelf and door side are open while two, clear, second doors (up-down or hinged) that need opened for other items. If it was one full "storm" door it would still happen when opening that too. It is less user-friendly but much more efficient. As it is now the only thing trapping air, coincidentally, are the two drawers usually on the bottom. The problem is straight-forward. How do you stop cold air from falling out on the floor every time you open a refrigerator door. Hanging plastic strips like those at walk-in cooler entrances might work but would probably be too much of an obstacle for easy access.

(4) Mag-lev bearings and bushings. This is an idea for friction on various axles. Axles need stabilized and for anyone not familiar with the term "bushings" or "bearings" hold axles, causing friction. If a magnetic resistance can be achieved in a bearing it might create a suspended gap that would eliminate friction (at least in that mechanical part). Either the whole bearing may be repulsed to the axle or as it spins the repulsion is induced (as in magnetic levitation trains except with radial repulsion). I'm not sure about front-heavy axles like a windmill hub, unless it is balanced on the other side of the hub (possibly with another propeller, a dual hub/propeller windmill) with mag-lev bearings (between), or a car axles, etc.

(5) As for windmills, wind power should always be in conjunction with photovoltaic power. If land is leased for windmills there should be photocell arrays all around underneath. And if the windmill is at sea then the southern half of the rising base, and even the blades themselves should be covered with photovoltaic cells. Photovoltaic windmills.

(6) And how about getting the "Delete" key away from the "Backspace" key on a laptop keyboard!
tvelection
Intellectual
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Good ideas.

I think there are magnetic bearings available as off the shelf products already. And the sound synch thing is covered by at least Pro Tools sound editing software and probably a bunch of others.

An idea for your refrij would be a door that slides down, so you'd only need to go as low as what you want to get to. It would have to be like a loading dock door, of course, becase nobody would want to cut a slot in their kitchen floor!
JO 753
Intellectual
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: IL NOEEZ

Re: Six more ideas

Postby tvelection » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/japan-quakes-kill-at-least-32-rescuers-rush-to-free-trapped/ar-BBrOMT3?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=oie8fvrt

Paragraph four:
"Japanese media reported that nearly 200,000 homes were without electricity, and that drinking water systems had also failed in the area. TV video showed people huddled in blankets, sitting or lying down shoulder-to-shoulder on the floors of evacuation centers. An estimated 400,000 households were without running water." Emily Wang, Associated Press.

If the US still has a contingent military force based in Japan (wasn't there one Okinawa or somewhere that was causing friction with the some Japanese citizens that did not appreciate the US outpost there?) Anyway, this is a good opportunity to help Japan in a time of need. We should deploy help for search and rescue, assist the Japanese with logistics, supplying water, food, and restoring electric. Such disasters as earthquakes require quick/timely responses; I hope the US is helping Japan or President Obama is offering our help if it's needed, especially if we already have forces there.
tvelection
Intellectual
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Six more ideas

Postby tvelection » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:44 am

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-forces-aid-japan-quake-rescue-aid-42-dead-10-missing/ar-BBrSZAO?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=oie8fvrt

Good job! Proud to see that our military can also be deployed a positive way for helping others in peaceful missions when permitted. I'm sure anyone who might be found under rubble or is in need of drinking water doesn't care who helps them in a natural disaster (an emergency, a time of need) be it a Japanese rescue force or US service personnel. The will to help others when not required is one thing that makes this country great, no cynical or ulterior motive, no conspiracy theory garbage, no politics, but instead a noble effort and the belief that the US, however humanly imperfect, can be and has been at times, an agent for "good," for charity, and for the freedoms and rights of others around the world.
tvelection
Intellectual
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Six more ideas

Postby tvelection » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Robert46,

Thanks, I'm actually conflicted on whether or not to ask you to restore the "Pres. Election" thread. But I'm so glad you were able to find it because I don't use my Word program anymore and when that thread was lost I had no copy whatsoever. Also I was unable to fully edit the mess (now I use onsite drafting). It had some oversights in the op-ed, the McConnell Senate not the House and typos I never had a chance to correct. Regardless, my thinking now is that I can make a more positive contributions through music, poetry, and writing, building bridges instead of engaging in the partisan scorched earth politics which burns bridges. Political opinions can needlessly antagonize those on the other side. And besides, my words on politics will change nothing. This site may not be the best forum for my political opinions. I want to wash politics off my hands anyway. I just wonder if not following or commenting on politics is like burying one's head in the sand.

I now remember why I left the cesspool of internet political exchanges, never had a political debate and afterwards thought, "that went well!" To the point, when I reread it I considered deleting it before it went missing. I just don't think that I can make a difference in politics anymore with a 1 in around 100,000,000 voter's opinion so why bother, I'm not a pundit.

That thread was the result of remaining quiet (but for one post) during the whole election season, then the man went one tweet too far. I truly believe what I said but that was when the electors had not decided on a President-elect. Around sixty people read it and those people will see whether it was prescient or just plain wrong. But there is no true glory in, "I told you so," anyway. I may regret this when outrageous things are said and done in the next year but if I asked you to restore the thread and changed my mind, I wouldn't then ask you to remove it.

This is the nuclear age and almost all the WW2 veterans' wisdom is gone and we have a world with too many strong-men, anti-intellectuals, religious violence, forgotten the meaning of total war. My biggest concern is about confrontational foreign policy, ultimatums, nukes, "not-blinking" machismo, and anti-intellectual power plays instead of constituent representation. This is certainly not what Plato/Socrates/Aristotle envisioned. When you questioned democracy in the past I wanted to argue for the "consent of the governed" but after this election (regardless of which side you are on) I see your point. What saves the US are constitutional checks and balances and Pres. term limits.

Robert46, I value your opinion as well as others that have been regulars here. Out of curiosity do you think that not reposting is the right decision? Maybe I should just move on and leave it at that?

Edward Marcus, I know you are a regular reader of posts here too, did you see the "2016 Pres. Election" thread. Do you think it may have been too critical of an opinion? If you were in my position would you repost it?

Peanut, I hope you read that before it was gone. I think we're on the same page in that regard.
Last edited by tvelection on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvelection
Intellectual
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Six more ideas

Postby robert 46 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:50 pm

I value posting anonymously. On the other hand, Marilyn knows who I am. Your posts brought out baggage which the President-elect needs to rid himself of. The question is whether he can grow into the job to become a good president. To that end he should know what he needs to overcome. I saw no purpose in voting for any of the lesser-evils because I do not like to compromise. My choice would have been none-of-the-above; which actually is on the ballot in one state- Nevada. However, Trump will be inaugurated, and we will be stuck with him for a while.

Free speech is our right, so why be intimidated in the "home of the brave and the land of the free"? You posted it once because you had something important to say.


P.S. The four posts missing from this topic are also available.
robert 46
Intellectual
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:21 am

Re: Six more ideas

Postby Edward Marcus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Many times I feel writers remorse when I post a thought on a sensitive topic. When I read your impression these postings may have been deleted because someone's political feathers might have been ruffled, I did not sense this was the real cause of the material going missing. Instead I thought some of the material gone missing from GSP and TCP threads were potential offenders. In my own case I did not feel a pressing need to reinstate my exact thoughts of the moment from those threads- only to freely elaborate on new and pertinent thoughts as they come along next time.

In your own case I would hate to see you placed into a position of vigilantly maintaining a political agenda against a cyber foe (real or imaginary) and then expending the precious energy needed to hone your keen talents as a writer and poet.
Edward Marcus
Intellectual
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Re: Six more ideas

Postby robert 46 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:08 am

Edward Marcus wrote:Many times I feel writers remorse when I post a thought on a sensitive topic. When I read your impression these postings may have been deleted because someone's political feathers might have been ruffled, I did not sense this was the real cause of the material going missing. Instead I thought some of the material gone missing from GSP and TCP threads were potential offenders.

On what basis? All the evidence indicates that on 12/9 a complete restoration of the system to 11/25 occurred. Thus posts, new members and view counts for two weeks were lost. I contacted the administrators to ask if they would be able to restore the lost data, but received no response. The most perplexing aspect is that the website reportedly appeared corrupted to JO 753 some three hours before a time when it appeared normal to me; which I have conclusive evidence of for me, but not for JO 753. During this two week time frame, new members were making odd posts- several with hidden on-line gambling links. Why the website was restored to an earlier date is obscure, and also why it does not have real-time archiving.
robert 46
Intellectual
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:21 am

Re: Six more ideas

Postby Edward Marcus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:19 am

robert 46 wrote:On what basis? All the evidence indicates that on 12/9 a complete restoration of the system to 11/25 occurred. Thus posts, new members and view counts for two weeks were lost.


No basis except my experience with computers tells me strange and inexplicable things like this can happen without anyone's intentional efforts.
Edward Marcus
Intellectual
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Re: Six more ideas

Postby robert 46 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 am

Edward Marcus wrote:
robert 46 wrote:On what basis? All the evidence indicates that on 12/9 a complete restoration of the system to 11/25 occurred. Thus posts, new members and view counts for two weeks were lost.

No basis except my experience with computers tells me strange and inexplicable things like this can happen without anyone's intentional efforts.

That is a non-sequitur You wrote:
When I read your impression these postings may have been deleted because someone's political feathers might have been ruffled, I did not sense this was the real cause of the material going missing. Instead I thought some of the material gone missing from GSP and TCP threads were potential offenders.

The meaning of this is that "political feathers" being "ruffled" was not the reason for the lost data but that "GSP/TCP feathers" being "ruffled" was. So it was deliberate, in your estimation, for one reason- not another. But now you claim it was likely a glitch in the system.

Please engage brain before activating fingers.
robert 46
Intellectual
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:21 am

Re: Six more ideas

Postby Edward Marcus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:13 am

robert 46 wrote:The meaning of this is that "political feathers" being "ruffled" was not the reason for the lost data but that "GSP/TCP feathers" being "ruffled" was. So it was deliberate, in your estimation, for one reason- not another. But now you claim it was likely a glitch in the system.

Please engage brain before activating fingers.


It may be too early in the morning to engage my brain. ha ha

I meant to communicate my initial reaction to the material gone missing was similar to others and may have been the byproduct of some personal insecurities and paranoia. Allowing the cooler side of my brain to prevail, the more I thought about it the more I believed the deletions were probably accidental.
Edward Marcus
Intellectual
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:21 pm


Return to Great Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest