Daily Rant

Got a great idea? Tell the world about it here.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Daily Rant

Postby JO 753 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Got something bugging you today? Post it here!

Let me kick it off with a problem I have with the cable news channels.

Text boxes blocking the bottom of the screen!

Theres almost always the station logo on the right and most of the rest is taken up with a title for the current story with some short blurb. Plus under that is a narrow crawl with unrelated stories.

No problem when its just the talking head, but very often there is some video that gets the bottom half blocked by this junk.

What prompted me to write this was yesterday's CNN presentation of some tornado video. Much of the time, the actual contact with the ground was behind the boxes! It's like they aren't even bothering to look at what they are showing us!

The worst I recall was during a shuttle landing. All that you could see was the top half of the shuttle! During the Iraq invasion the embedded cameramen were apparently unaware that most of the action they were risking their lives to record was not being seen because of this.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:49 pm

A celebrity, any celebrity, no matter what got them their notoriety, gets some response to whatever they have to say, no matter how banal or moronic.

Britney Spears, Kato Caylan, Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin. You name them. If they call the NY Times, the White House, General Motors, the governor of any state, CNN, TRW, etc., they will get an answer. A real answer from the top brass. Good chance they could have a chat with the head honcho himself!

But us ordinary chumps have little chance of getting through no matter how important the issue. You could invent an anti gravity device and you'd be lucky to get a post-it-note back from a mail room clerk at a car company!

Yes, money talks and fame = money, but it gets rediculous when sports stars 'write' a book or 'design' a new product line. It seems the actual substance of something is of no consequence anymore.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:32 pm

"Wait for it..."

Someone is telling you a story and they interrupt with 'wait for it' before saying the essential piece of info.

I've seen it in Time magazine, heard Glenn Beck and maybe Bill O'Reilly say it and one of my friends tried it.

They've done that on Rick's List twice lately. Rick Sanchez himself and then another reporter today, Jeany Moost, I think.

I don't know if they think it sounds clever or builds suspense, but to me it's very irritating and instantly degrades my opinion of the perpetrator.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 am

Rick Sanchez got axed last week for voicing an opinion involving Jews.

I can understand the need to keep a media organization free of any bigotry, but in this case, I think firing the man was going too far.

First, he was being interviewed on a satellite radio show, not doing his own show on CNN.

2nd, he has a valid point. He was talking about how hispanic people aren't percieved to be on equal intellectual terms with white Americans. He said something about Jewish people being in many of the management positions in the media. They are certainly way out of proportion to the hispanic and general population.

3rd, he was defending himself concerning some comments Jon Stewart made about him. Right or wrong, you can not hold self defense against anybody.

Yes, it was not a brilliant idea for him to turn it into a race issue. But I think the circumstances only warranted a visit to the bosses office. Plus, firing him provided a good story for any real bigots claiming Jews are in control of the media.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby tvelection » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Here's a rant I've had. The new super-bright headlights, I'm tired of being blinded by them. It's ridiculous; my vision is probably average to good but when super-brights hit my eyes (especially from a high-set truck) it can give me a temporary headache. I think there should be a lumens limit on auto headlights. There are times when I actually look away from the brightness. I can't imagine the elderly dealing with such obnoxiously bright headlights because for many of them it takes longer for their eyes to re-adjust back to the dark road. Brighter beams may be safer for the driver but they are too dangerous for everyone else (much like oversized SUVs). Enough with the blinding super-brights.
tvelection
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:04 pm

Actually there are legal limits. The new lights are within the limits, just much whiter than the old fangled hot filament bulbs.

I find they leave spots and tracks in my vision much more quickly.

I have some desk lamps and flash lites that use LEDs. They are great energy savers, but I avoid getting them in my field of vision. It won't surprise me if 10 or 20 years from now people start developing new vision problems from these lights.
JO 753
Intellectual

Re: Daily Rant

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Forgot about this topic. I wuz about to post a gripe about the TV and then had vage memory uv doing sumthing similar here.

In the old dayz, if there wuz sum severe wether going on, thered be a notis crawling along the top or bottom uv the screen and sum beeps at the beginning. It worked fine.

Then sumtime around 10 yirz ago they started showing a stupid square with a map and the little beep got louder and longer, so you'd miss wutever sound and dialog wuz in your show.

Last monday June 22, there were sum tornadoz south uv Chicago. I wuz watching American Ninja Warrior on NBC 5. During the show, they kept teazing us with the story uv a contestant who failed at the final obstacle last yir, so will he make it this time?

I jiveth ye not - he gets thru all the other obstacles, everybodyz cheering, he takes 2 steps toward the warp wall and ZOINK! The show iz replased by the stupid overblown weather emerjensy animation for about 5 secondz then the local weather idiot, Brant Miller iz blathering about the tornadoz that are showing up on radar. Duznt actually say anything uv substans for at least haf a minit, then blatherz on and on for 2 minits. (edited to put the rite weather guy in. I had Mark Strehl, who iz the Fox 32 wether guy. They look similar if you arent paying much attention)

Its like they arent even watching wut they are broadcasting! They coud hav waited another 10 secondz for the guy to get to the top uv the wall.

If thats not bad enuf, after Brant finished blathering, they go to regularly skejuled commercialz, about 2 or 3 minits uv them, leading me to believe ANW will rezume afterward. But no! Its back to the local weather. They stay on it all nite!

Do you ever get the impression that promotion to any manajement pozition in television requirez a lobotomy?
Tired uv Trump yet? I am:
http://www.7532020.com
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:06 pm

About my orijinal gripe here -

Last week the NBC newz did a bit about Lexus making actual working hoverboardz like they had in Back to the Future 2 in 2015. The key element uv wut the video showed wuz obviously that the skateboard-like devisez had no weelz and were not touching the grownd.

Wut do wee see? Title banner!!!!

For maybe a haf second out uv all the close up shots do we see the gap between the ground and the board. The long shots just look like kidz on skateboardz.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:55 pm

JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 pm

Maybe sumwun at NBC iz reading this!

Today on the evening newz with Lester Holt they showed the tornado video without any blockage wile Lester wuz introdusing the story. It wuz an awe and terror inspiring view uv the base uv the tornado violently churning its way across a road. Looked like everything wuz in a blender!

But they did go back to the title block ruining it wen they went to the on the sene reporter.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby Edward Marcus » Wed May 11, 2016 7:26 am

It gets even worse- as my cable box always seems to place the menu at the bottom of the screen during the most crucial putts of a golf tournament.
Edward Marcus
Intellectual

Postby JeffJo » Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 am

Edward Marcus wrote:Text boxes blocking the bottom of the screen!

Related: My computer screen has an aspect ratio of H:V = 16:9.

The menu bar for my browser takes about the top 11% (a number that makes calculations simple) of this, making it 16:8, or 2:1. When maximized, it wastes about half of the space it took. When not maximized, it takes the same amount of vertical space, which is a greater percentage of the area.

The "marilynvossavant.com" title bar takes another 11% off the top, making it 16:7. It wastes about 2/3 of the space it took. More, if you consider non-useful images (only the links are useful). Fortunately, it isn't fixed, so I can make it scroll away.

Other websites take more space, and always from the top and/or bottom. Much of the space taken is wasted, and is sometimes fixed. I've seen the aspect ratio, of the space dedicated to the web information I'm reading, get as high as 3:1 or even 4:1.

The problem? Most of the reading material is formatted in a portrait mode, needing H:V < about 4:5. The window for the text here is about half the width of the screen, so half of the space that is left is also wasted with solid-yellow fill.

Why can't websites put their useless material on the side?
JeffJo
Intellectual

Postby Edward Marcus » Wed May 11, 2016 9:30 am

JO 753 wrote:Got something bugging you today? Post it here!

JeffJo wrote:Why can't websites put their useless material on the side?

Most of these tv and website presentations are probably formatted by a production committee- so everyone has a say on the content - and the result is a visual circus.
Edward Marcus
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:42 am

Newz websites are the worst. They try to put so much in frunt uv your eyez at the same time that they ruin wutever it iz you wanted to read about.

And not just by crowding! They also pop advertizing up over the text youre reading, put a video uv the story on the same paje that takes forever to load, making it scroll badly or not at all. And youll be reading the 1st paragraf and it will drop away wen sumthing loadz up abuv it.

The worst iz the hedlinez and teazer summaryz that try to make the story az tempting az possibl. Then, wen you do click on it, turnz out the 'wardrobe malfunction', 'scientific surprize stunning scientists', 'helth scare/remedy', etc. iz a mundane nonstory that barely matchez the hedline.

Its all about getting us to click, kuz sumhow they make money wenever we do.

WAIT! Wors than that iz the list prezentation click factory! Top 100 this or that and they show 1 at a time requiring you to click ro go to the next so they can throw up a hole nuther paje uv adz!

I almost never go to Hufpost kuz uv all this and only occasionally to any other newz site.
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:01 am

Exactly 1 yir later & the same thing happened!

Lucky this time the Wenzday showing uv American Ninja Warrior wuz a rerun uv the show from Monday. I'd missed a few thingz near the beginning so wuz watching it agen and it wuz after the stuff I missed wuz over that Brant Miller broke into to blather about tornadoz.

I turned it off. around 10pm I turned the TV on and they were still churning over the tornado story.

Herez a theory: Brant ownz the station!
JO 753
Intellectual

Next

Return to Great Ideas