Marilyn's Daily Diet

The Game Show problem, logical fallacies, Marilyn's daily diet, multi-tasking and achieving your potential.

Moderator: Marilyn

Marilyn's Daily Diet

Postby Marilyn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:16 pm

The “Ask Marilyn Daily Diet”
(The “Ask Marilyn Daily Diet” was originally published in PARADE Magazine November 21, 2004.)

I have a very light breakfast (low-fat yogurt or fruit or cereal) and a very small lunch (a bit of cheese and crackers). And during the day, I drink water and a couple of cups of tea (sometimes with caffeine).
For dinner, however, I have just about anything I want, including bread and a little butter or olive oil, most kinds of entrees and vegetables, plus a dessert.
The biggest exception is that I try to limit saturated fats, so I don’t often have foods like burgers and fries. I also skip fatty meats and gravies and soups with cream.
I think this maintenance diet is successful because it’s hard to overeat when you have only one significant meal a day. If my weight creeps upward a few pounds—which sometimes happens—I eliminate the bread and dessert until my weight returns to normal.
I also have strict rules, which I seldom break, except during vacations and holidays:

No snack food at home: only mealtime food. This means zero cookies, chips, nuts, and other treats. When it’s time for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you should find everything you need. But when you want something between meals just for fun, the cupboard should look bare.

No eating between meals. This includes “healthful” food such as fruit or juice. For your health, they’re better than “junk” food. But for keeping trim, they are just added calories. Instead, try a no-calorie beverage or a cup of tea with sweetener. One of the best things about my routine is that I always look forward to dinner, when I can have most anything I want—what a treat! Plus, food tastes much better when you’re hungry and not eating simply because mealtime has arrived.

No beverages with calories except for fruit juice or milk at breakfast. Also: Warm drinks and room-temperature drinks are more flavorful than cold ones, so I don’t add ice. I order beverages without ice in restaurants, too. Plus, melting ice makes a beverage watery, and that diminishes the flavor even more. Even in summer, iceless drinks don’t seem warm. Body temperature is almost 100°F, and so 72°F water tastes plenty cool enough. And in winter, why have an icy drink at all?

No milk or sugar added to beverages, including coffee and tea. Either drink it with sweetener or drink it black (or with lemon). All this stuff adds up. If you eliminate just one 100-calorie soda and a 15-calorie cup of coffee with sugar daily, you would lose twelve pounds in a year!

No effort to eat everything on the plate, either at home or in a restaurant. Learn to throw good food away or save it for another dinner (not for snacking). People who are bothered by “wasting” food will either gain weight or cook (and order) less. Choose the latter, which actually eliminates the waste. Eating too much is the worst possible waste of good food. This doesn’t help starving children anywhere, and it makes the overeater a bit less healthy.

Following are a couple of dos and don’ts:

Do take forever to eat dinner. The simple pleasure of dining with family or friends is underrated in our hurried lives. So is dining alone while reading a newspaper or simply enjoying good food. One of my favorite activities is going out to dinner by myself when my husband is away. I usually take a couple of questions to ponder and linger for the evening. It’s blissful!

Do savor each bite. If you love food, why not enjoy the taste as long as you can? Plus, thorough chewing makes for less tummy trouble, especially for those with gastrointestinal conditions, such as diverticulosis, which affects a third of the adult population. This is one reason I avoid drinks with calories. They disappear in a flash!

Don’t change your dining habits on the weekends. Weekends are already delightful, and you can have most anything you like for dinner every day, anyway. Adding foodfests like brunch is just plain overindulgence. Use that time to take a walk in a hilly park, bicycle with the kids, or shoot baskets at a playground. You’ll feel much better afterward.

Don’t underestimate the calories you consume. When I say “a very light breakfast” and “a very small lunch,” I really mean it: maybe 250 calories for both together. People often underestimate the calories of “healthful” food and overestimate the calories of foods that are frequent targets of dieters, such as one of the scariest foods of all: butter. Yet an average apple has the same number of calories as two pats of butter!

And one special tip:

Don’t eat food that you don’t really enjoy. This is an important part of my daily diet, whether I’m maintaining my weight or losing a couple of pounds. I won’t eat anything that I don’t think tastes great, even if I’m at a restaurant. Here’s how I view it: I have a limited number of days in my life, and time is precious. In a similar way, I have a limited number of calories to enjoy in my life. I want to “spend” them in the best way I can. So I refuse to waste precious calories on stale bread, spaghetti that’s too soft, or a giant cookie that didn’t taste as good as it looked. One bite, and it’s all over!
Marilyn
Site Admin

Postby Vosh » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:56 am

Reasonable enough. I have noticed that you can't feed gorillas too much celery or they get fatty boomblatty! Celery!

I had always thought, if I were to have strict rules, that I would eat a large breakfast and the other meals would be small, that way I would spend the day burning the large meal I had eaten. Somewhere I came across a reference wherein a physician said something about eating a large meal late in the day only to then go to bed and let it turn into fat, instead of burning it off.

I wonder, if one takes two hours (having worked up to that level of fitness) out of the day to run or walk or whatever it is you do to burn fat, if it would matter what and when one ate. The popular wisdom, which I once saw tacked to a bulletin board in the hallway of a corporate building I once worked in, is that one hour will maintain your current weight, and it takes more than that to actually lose weight.

If I cut out the internet and tv, 2 hours isn't really that much out of the day. Shouldn't be a problem at all if I can find a Marine drill sergeant to stand on my neck every day. ;)
"A new scientific idea does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." -Max Planck
Vosh
Intellectual

Postby davar55 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:15 am

What's Up Doc?

I like to eat raw carrots.
Don't like nibbling on parrots.
Pizza or Chinese is fine,
Whenever we go out to dine.

Sparkilng water's the drink for me.
Coffee's OK and so is tea.
Muffins, crackers, and all the rest.
But chocolate ice cream is still the best!

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

Go Marilyn !!!!!
davar55
Intellectual

why?

Postby kelly » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:06 pm

"If you love food, why not enjoy the taste as long as you can?"

Because pleasure brings pain.

"Don’t eat food that you don’t really enjoy."

a lot of times its just fuel.

"No beverages with calories except for fruit juice or milk at breakfast."

Just juce is a good way to reduce weight.

"No eating between meals."

A lot of light meals is also a good weight reduction strategy.

"I have a very light breakfast "

Exactly.
[/quote]
kelly
Intellectual

Postby Bodhisattva » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:32 pm

Some parts of Marilyn's daily diet make sense to me, others don't.

The very light breakfast makes sense. Some people might say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and people who eat breakfast weigh less, so she should make breakfast her biggest meal, but I am strongly suspicious that people who eat breakfast weigh less because people who don't tend to snack throughout the day. But Marilyn does not snack, so she should be fine. It also makes sense to make dinner your biggest meal because if you had a meeting at Jarvik heart, were behind in your work at Parade magazine, and had to meet with a publisher to get your latest book published, you would be very rushed; so a big breakfast might not be feasible. You also know how much to eat at dinner by how much you have eaten during the day. You can reward yourself for eating healthy (or eat less if you haven't).

What I take issue with in her article, however, is the part about watching how many calories you eat. An apple may have twice the calories of a pat of butter, but these calories provide nutrients to your body, whereas, thhe pat of butter is only fat. An apple is so much bigger, too. An apple slice the size of a pat of butter would have way fewer calories than the butter would. And don't you think her remark could be misconstrued by some feebler-minded, pro-ani teeenager.
"Does reality matter?"
--Christopher Wiley
Bodhisattva
Scholar

Postby Bodhisattva » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 am

I wonder if Marilyn is a vegetarian or if she eats meat. Especially if she has any arguments, health-oriented or otherwise, for eating one way or the other.
"Does reality matter?"
--Christopher Wiley
Bodhisattva
Scholar

A theory!

Postby cacao » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:03 pm

Food is important. But eating habbits are even more essential. I think our brain is most likely to be the one that needs the proper nutritions and doesnt get it in time. Lets just imagine every minute with out the nutrition we need is like losing a thought. Because our brain needs nurtitions and consumes them. So perhaps the future of our health is set on carrying a set of müssli bars and pop one when ever its time to do so!!!
I use a notepad to remember things. Thats my best feature:D
cacao
Intellectual

Some observations

Postby mountainelm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:35 pm

On Bali people don't have fixed meal times. They snack throughout the day. I haven't seen too many fat people on Bali. If one has a desk job then it makes more sense to eat in small portions. If one eats, say, a big lunch then the energy is not used efficiently so it's stored as fat. I have half a sandwich at lunch and another half at 3 pm. That way i supply the energy at the rate it's consumed. Of course, while snacking one has to reduce the size of scheduled meals.

If one has a demanding job requiring physical exertion then a big breakfast makes sense. When i hike a lot on my vacations i eat a huge breakfast: bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast. Then i don't eat much through the rest of the day.

Where i come from people don't eat dinner in the evening - just light supper. I don't think it makes sense to get stuffed before going to bed.

Taking a nap after lunch makes sense and is good for the heart. Unfortunately, the habit is frowned upon in corporate America. I don't care - i have a siesta curled up at the back of my car.

I agree w/ Marilyn that sugar in drinks is really bad. I only drink mineral water, black coffee and tea without sugar or milk.

Drinking iced water actually helps loose weight. The newest studies show it speeds up metabolism. There is also some small effect of burning the calories to heat the water to the body temperature (Q = m Cp DT) but it's not that significant.

My mom says that after each meal one should feel they could eat some more. I think it's a good rule of thumb.
Adam
mountainelm
Scholar

Re: Some observations

Postby nintendo1889 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:39 am

mountainelm wrote:On Bali people don't have fixed meal times. They snack throughout the day. I haven't seen too many fat people on Bali. If one has a desk job then it makes more sense to eat in small portions. If one eats, say, a big lunch then the energy is not used efficiently so it's stored as fat. I have half a sandwich at lunch and another half at 3 pm. That way i supply the energy at the rate it's consumed. Of course, while snacking one has to reduce the size of scheduled meals.

That does seem to make sense. In Asia (China I believe) five small meals are eaten throughout the day. Also they try to eat a wide variety of foods within each week.

I wish I could remember the book where I learned this about the chinese diet. :cry:

Regarding taking forever to eat and savoring every bite, that may be why French people have healthy hearts.
nintendo1889
Thinker

Postby bill » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:19 am

It all depends on how active you are and whether or not you are a man or woman.

For example I once lost 60 lbs in 6 months by eating a large breakfast lunch and dinner and snacking between meals. But I also increased my activity substantially. Walking back and forth to work heavy weightlifting for up to eight hours in a day etc. I actually also got physically younger I turned 36 and was actually carded at times for proof that I was 18 when I never got carded for proof when I was 18 [sic] I actually looked like a well muscled 16 yr old.

I weighed 180 lbs of muscle and had a 31 inch waist.

To heck with doctors. I did what my body told me to do. Unfortunately my ability to deal with stupidity decreased and I had a stupid mouse of a foreman who chose to make an example of me by harassing me. And my sister's 3 children moved in and I just let a girl go who I had fallen deeply in love with because the three kids moved in. All this hit me at once and I had a stress attack which would not have happened if I did not catch my foreman lying about me when documenting my work and listening in on my private home phone conversations to try to get evidence to fire me. He was able to do this because I worked for a phone company that did not trust its employees. Unfortunately they went after an innocent man. I am not complaining just conversing about my trials and tribulations.

I realize my life could have been much worse so I am grateful for such a life.

When it comes to a proper healthy diet :?: :?: :?:

If you do not what is good for you how would anyone else :?: :?: :?:

:D :shock: Bill 8) :idea: :arrow: = the truth absolute

My stepfather also was dying and I had to take on additional responsibilities, my mother was also beaten up at this time. I had a lot on my plate. On top of this the so called big shot Dr. Charles Carluccio and HOLY NAME HOSPITAL deliberately diagnosed me as bipolar just so they looked good. Never even bothered to ask me why I was so upset just looked at me and said I was mentally ill. The Dr. who first saw me at Holy Name was Shard Waigly. They didn't even think to ask me what was going on in my life and why I was having a nervous breakdown, whish was because I was trying to keep myself calm and from exploding and killing three stupid bastards who deserved to die. When my sisters two kids moved in with my sister- she never married the bum- my sister wanted a lawyer for a court order for now I cannot even oh yeah a restraining orde, and after I paid for the lawyer only $1500 and I even had to check the lawyers documents for spelling errors. Well the other lawyers I contacted wanted a $5000 retainer and $500 dollars an hour. Well anyway after all that and the trouble we had with the police in doing their job because he was a fireman, my stupid sister goes back and has another child with this bastard. And when I wanted too hold a union meeting at work and tell them to all file a grievance against my foreman the union delegate told me #@%$! you that was when I started losing it. And there is a lot more too my story. But enoughfor now.
Last edited by bill on Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:56 am

I don't usually have lunch and only have Ovaltine for breakfast. I do have a snack now & then.

I used to eat everything on my plate even if I was no longer hungry, but now I give the extra food to the racoons.

You said butter is the scariest food of all, but isn't margarine much worse because of the hydrogenated oil content?
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby manikah » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 am

For healthy and sound life ,diet control is necessary.
manikah
Thinker

Re: Marilyn's Daily Diet

Postby Tom Hendricks » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 am

Weight trauma? Here's some ideas:

The main culprit seems to be carbs and refined sugar (and perhaps excess protein). It's very difficult to gain weight on fruits and green vegetables.
But why the inner drive that craves carbs and sugar?

There seems to be a correlation between those who are not breast fed and obesity. That may be the big underlying cause of all eating problems - a lack of one full year of breast feeding.

Also these problems:
The lack of sleep and obesity connection. There is more pain in those who are obese connection. And there seems to be a connection between when you eat and obesity.
I seldom see those comments made. The studies for all of these are pretty strong.

Three things that may help (after the unconscious breast feeding trauma is solved - and again that is the big unconscious drive for all eating problems)

1. Pull back on the amount of carbs you eat.
2. Never eat after dark - give your digestion system enough to digest and switch over to sleep mode.
3. Get enough sleep.
Tom Hendricks
Intellectual

Re: A theory!

Postby Peanut » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:45 pm

[quote="cacao"]Food is important. But eating habbits are even more essential. I think our brain is most likely to be the one that needs the proper nutritions and doesnt get it in time. Lets just imagine every minute with out the nutrition we need is like losing a thought. Because our brain needs nurtitions and consumes them. So perhaps the future of our health is set on carrying a set of müssli bars and pop one when ever its time to do so!!![/quote]

Actually, the human body is very adaptable to conditions of glut and famine, as well as all the different types of food that might be available in different places and seasons. It's very good at storing up nutrients and accessing them at need. Hydration is far more critical.

A few years ago, I went three weeks without solid food or most liquids; took electrolytes and fluid by IV. Nothing happened. I lost a lot of weight and became quite sluggish near the end, slept longer than usual, but I was still walking around normally and my mind was clear enough to write letters and read books. No long-term effects that I'm aware of. (And I've gained most of the weight back, even though I don't need it - just like my chocolate and cheese too much.)

Cutting out meat certainly helps keep the weight down - that stuff is concentrated calories! Broccoli and blueberries are good. And a slice of multigrain toast with home-made peanut butter. (no sugar) So are squash soup, spanakopita and chick pea salad. Brown rice with stir-fried veg and tofu cubes. There are all kinds of tasty, healthy foods to choose from - and cook! Why would anyone waste their taste-buds (not to mention money!) on packaged fried salt?
Peanut
Scholar

Re: Marilyn's Daily Diet

Postby davar55 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Dear Peanut:

You must hate yourself, your life, and humanity, to try to adopt such a sick diet.

I include your post for reference:

[quote]
Actually, the human body is very adaptable to conditions of glut and famine, as well as
all the different types of food that might be available in different places and seasons.
It's very good at storing up nutrients and accessing them at need.
Hydration is far more critical.
A few years ago, I went three weeks without solid food or most liquids;
took electrolytes and fluid by IV. Nothing happened.
I lost a lot of weight and became quite sluggish near the end,
slept longer than usual, but I was still walking around normally
and my mind was clear enough to write letters and read books.
No long-term effects that I'm aware of.
And I've gained most of the weight back, even though I don't need it,
just like my chocolate and cheese too much.
Cutting out meat certainly helps keep the weight down. That stuff is concentrated calories! Broccoli and blueberries are good.
And a slice of multi-grain toast with home-made peanut butter.
So are squash soup, span-a-k-o-pita and chick pea salad.
Brown rice with stir-fried veg and tofu cubes.
There are all kinds of tasty, healthy foods to choose from and cook!
Why would anyone waste their taste-buds, on packaged fried salt?
[/quote]

These comments and suggestions are sick, hateful, and anti-human.

Following them totally would obviously harm or kill the human who did so.
These suggestions are a prescription for human suicide.
Your implementing them proves you hate humanity and yourself.

I offer the following food-poem as an antidote for Peanut's poison.

What's Up Doc?

I like to eat raw carrots.
Don't like nibbling on parrots.
Pizza or Chinese is fine,
Whenever we go out to dine.

Peanuts are fine to gobble down.
Cheeseburgers and fries anywhere in town.
Lobster, clams, oysters and mussels
Make terrific eats in Paris or Brussels.

Not too fond of broccoli.
Cauliflower's the one for me.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert's a treat.
And cola or wine with whatever I eat.

Sparkilng water's the drink for me.
Coffee's OK and so is tea.
Muffins, crackers, and all the rest.
But chocolate ice cream is still the best!

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

Go Marilyn !!!!!!

-- davar55
davar55
Intellectual

Next

Return to Online Articles By Marilyn