Why do pigeons live in cities? (Parade 12/17/2006)

Discuss Marilyn's column in PARADE magazine.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Why do pigeons live in cities? (Parade 12/17/2006)

Postby Omar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi Marilyn!

I'm a big fan of your "Ask Marilyn" column in "Parade Magazine", and have certainly learned a great deal from you over the years. Today however, I would enjoy sharing a bit of my limited knowledge with you.

In the 12/17/2006 Parade issue, Veronica B. of Highland Park, IL asked:

"Why do pigeons live in cities?"

You replied:

"In cities, pigeons have no natural enemies—just half-hearted efforts to eradicate them or at least shoo them from the places where they are most annoying. Plus, people love to feed them—especially tourists, children and little old ladies. And pigeons aren’t picky! In addition to their natural diet, they even love popcorn and peanuts. Besides, “hustle and bustle” doesn’t apply to pigeons: They don’t need to get to work on time."

Actually, the main reason pigeons live in cities, which you did not mention,
is that cityscapes provide a habitat and environment that closely resemble the steep rocky cliffs that pigeons, or "rock doves" as they are also called, originated from. Tall building facades, bridges and other sheltered structures very closely simulate the natural nesting areas these birds instinctively prefer, and this is the primary reason why pigeons choose to live in large cities rather than the countryside.

Thanks again Marilyn for your wonderful column!

Sincerely,

Omar
Omar
Thinker

City Pigeons

Postby Diana » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi Omar!

I read your post that was in regard to Marilyn's 17 December 2006 article entitled, "Why do pigeons live in cities?"

Having read Marilyn's article and your post about city living pigeons, I must say that your response makes much more sense to me than Marilyn's.

Your observation that "...Tall building facades, bridges and other sheltered structures very closely simulate the natural nesting areas these birds instinctively prefer" is true.

Also the fact that Marilyn says the pigeons are in cities in part because people feed them puzzles me because I think people feed the pigeons because they are THERE. People would feed pigeons in subdivisions and in rural areas too, but there aren't any pigeons to be seen in those areas to feed!

I guess it could be the "pigeon or the egg" type situation. Do people feed pigeons in cities because the birds are there, or do people somehow entice pigeons to live in the cities because they WANT to feed them. I agree with the former--the pigeons are there because cities are similar to their natural settings.

Diana
Diana
Thinker

Postby emilynghiem » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:32 pm

Statues!
;-)
emilynghiem
Intellectual

Re: Why do pigeons live in cities?

Postby Omar » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:39 pm

Thank you for your comments Diana. As of yet, I have not heard anything back from Marilyn re: an update as to why pigeons REALLY live in cities. I do believe the reader from Highland Park, Illinois was looking for a more serious answer to her question. She did not get that. What Marilyn came up with seemed more like dreadful stand up comedy to me.
Omar
Thinker

Postby supriya » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Good post ! I really felt good reading about pigeons.....i m a nature lover,,,,i love birds,forests,trees ,all nature's gift for us!
With Regards
from-Dr. Supriya

i believe in this proverb-
-u r as good as u think u r-

My yaho msngr id is= supriya_rastogi
supriya
Scholar

Postby bill » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Marilyn does not know everything people you keep forgetting that :D :D

Witty answers are by some thought to be bad comedy :D :D
love creation machine
bill
Intellectual

Postby fettson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:18 pm

I dont know what you do call them in America but in Sweden we call them pigeons if they are domesticated/urban and doves if they live in the wild/forrest.
"conclusions are never stronger than the arguments that support it!"
fettson
Thinker

Postby ListenToMe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:41 am

I had noticed that Marilyn was pretty unfunny with the jokes she makes in her column. It's interesting because I went to school with a guy that was unbelievably quick and witty but he was always making terrible grades. It seems like intelligence and humor are pretty unrelated.
ListenToMe
Thinker

Postby Hands-on Celibacy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:37 pm

ListenToMe wrote:I went to school with a guy that was unbelievably quick and witty but he was always making terrible grades. It seems like intelligence and humor are pretty unrelated.

A humorist just a little more intelligent might be just a little more funny. But maybe not. I can imagine that a-little-more-intelligent humorist might be instead a little more overanalytical and dull for it.

Grades indicate industriousness at most. But a quick wit actually indicates intelligence. So your quick-witted schoolmate may have been a very intelligent guy. It seems like institutionalized education and intelligence are pretty unrelated, too.
Hands-on Celibacy
Intellectual

Re: Why do pigeons live in cities? (Parade 12/17/2006)

Postby Columbus98 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 am

As a result, we could use an Android emulator to run Vivavideo for Windows Phone include classy transitions between them extremely conveniently.
Columbus98
Thinker

Re: Why do pigeons live in cities? (Parade 12/17/2006)

Postby robert 46 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am

Columbus98 wrote:As a result, we could use an Android emulator to run ***** include classy transitions between them extremely conveniently.

The Scam Adviser service reports that the link is to a website only 198 days old; is using a server to hide the identity of the actual owner; may be located in Panama; and currently appears to be offline. Visit it at your own risk.
robert 46
Intellectual

Return to Magazine column