Driving under the influence of music

Discuss Marilyn's column in PARADE magazine.

Moderators: mvs_staff, forum_admin, Marilyn

Driving under the influence of music

Postby robert 46 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:11 am

Parade wrote:Do You Listen to Music While Driving?
September 12, 2013 – 5:00 AM
By Marilyn vos Savant

Babak Khosravi of Hiram, Georgia, writes:

Marilyn: Is it safe to listen to music while driving?

Marilyn responds:

The question to ask yourself is this: Am I equally alert while listening to this music? Or am I less alert? If you’re sure you’re just as alert, it’s relatively safe. But if you’re any less alert, the opposite is the case.

Any distraction while driving is dangerous: listening to music, cell phone and even conversation with a passenger. Driving requires a focussed attention on what is happening, and might happen, around you. People may have a false impression that steel is strong, but seeing a photo of a car cut in half hitting a telephone pole should get the idea across that kinetic energy is much stronger.
robert 46
Intellectual

Re: Driving under the influence of music

Postby phobos rising » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 pm

robert46 wrote:Any distraction while driving > > > is < < < dangerous: listening to music, cell phone and even conversation with a passenger. Driving requires a focussed attention on what is happening, and might happen, around you. People may have a false impression that steel is strong, but seeing a photo of a car cut in half hitting a telephone pole should get the idea across that kinetic energy is much stronger.

No, you made a blanket black/white statement. Narrowing it down to the listening to the
music part of the discussion for the moment, that act can be dangerous, or it oftentimes is
dangerous. It is not a given that listening to music while driving is dangerous.

For certain situations, listening to certain music at certain volumes can help to be stimulanting
for the driver to be more awake than without the music.

Maybe just pick a favorite site on the Internet that supports (or refutes) what you think
about listening to music as you drive (from this list):

https://www.google.com/#q=is+listening+ ... +dangerous
phobos rising
Intellectual

Postby davar55 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:11 am

I agree with both of you.

Music iz a hazard, and music can keep yu alert.
davar55
Intellectual

Postby phobos rising » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 pm

davar55 wrote:I agree with both of you.

Music iz a hazard, and music can keep yu alert.

You can go ahead and spell all of your words correctly.

Music is a hazard, and music can keep you alert.
phobos rising
Intellectual

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:02 am

Daydreaming can be more distracting than muzik. Driving iz often boring, so turning on the radio or lissining to recorded muzik can help keep you from drifting away from reality.
Tired uv Trump yet? I am:
http://www.7532020.com
JO 753
Intellectual

Postby phobos rising » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:09 pm

JO 753 wrote:Daydreaming can be more distracting than muzik. Driving iz often boring, so turning on the radio or lissining to recorded muzik can help keep you from drifting away from reality.

Again, type your posts in English, or don't bother making them.
phobos rising
Intellectual

Postby robert 46 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 am

Marilyn's involvement:
Parade wrote:Doomed to Be a Distracted Driver?
July 16, 2017 – 5:00 AM
By Marilyn vos Savant

I consider myself to be a good driver, but I admit that I occasionally get distracted. At such times, I may even do something unsafe. This concerns me. I vow that I will always pay attention in the future, but then it happens again. Is it possible for a person to learn to be more mindful, or am I fighting a losing battle against human nature?

—Kristin Dzugan, Folsom, California

Marilyn responds:

You can improve by discovering factors that impinge on your attention. When you find yourself distracted, observe yourself and your surroundings. Does it happen more often when you’re listening to news on the radio? If so, try switching to music (or vice versa). Are you typically tired when your mind wanders? Then maybe indulge in a little more tea before the trip. Or are you usually thinking about personal or work-related matters? You might try turning on the radio.

Almost all of us can cultivate better focus, but in the case of driving, boredom is a major problem. We need to prevent boredom while avoiding distraction at the same time. This is not an easy task.

It is odd that Marilyn advises using one distraction to overcome another distraction. Is the answer self-driving vehicles? Not yet- there has been a fatality involving a self-driving Tesla:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/busi ... ation.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 411516001/

"NTSB said the driver received seven visual warnings on the instrument panel, which blared "Hold Steering Wheel," followed by six audible warnings."

The system is described as semi-autonomous, so, clearly, the "driver" was way too distracted- perhaps thinking he was in a Greyhound bus: "Leave the driving to us"???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Greyho ... ving_to_Us
robert 46
Intellectual

Postby Adrienara » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:11 pm

as for me, music while driving can distract me, 'cause I'm really into it, music is my escape from reality sometimes, that's why I try not to listen to it so loud by driving. and so should you to stay safe
“You can never be overdressed or overeducated.” - Oscar Wilde
Check this website to make your college life easier!
Adrienara
Thinker

Postby richarddolan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Today, many people spend most of the day in the car. A mobile phone is an integral part of any modern driver. During the training of driving, we hear hundreds of times that you can not talk over the phone while driving a car, because it can easily lead to an accident, but still do it, distracting from the road. With the help of the https://paidpaper.net/write-my-essay/ I wrote a detailed article about that and I hope that it will be useful for eveyone.
richarddolan
Thinker

Postby KristenRoss » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:28 pm

The probability of an accident is quadrupled if you talk on a mobile phone. If you type SMS, vigilance is reduced by six times, and in general, the number of accidents that occur due to the smartphone is measured daily by the hundreds. In general, this is a very serious problem, so you need to write more articles about it using different paper writing service for that kind of issue.
KristenRoss
Thinker

Return to Magazine column